Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My new organizing philosophy

I had posted earlier this year that I am re-organizing my sb room to follow the organizational system created by Tiffany Spaulding, owner of the Scrap Rack.

So armed with this knowledge I began to re-organize my sb room. I started with the obvious . . . the Scrap Rack. Until recently I wasn't fully utilizing this organizational tool. Over time my Scrap Rack has gone from this . . .


to this!

Although I adhered to the basic principles of her philosophy I tailored the system a bit. So, for example, instead of having a spindle for each category I've organized the entire SR by individual categories. Each category is then organized alphabetically in the SR. Here is a break-down of some of the basic categories:

1. Alpha/numeric. In this section I keep only generic alpha/numeric stickers. Any words/sentiment embellishments are stored in its own section which is then further sub-divided; family, home, friends, generic.

2. Themes. I don't have a separate spinder dedicated to just themes. Instead I categorize the themes and organize them alphabetically throughout the SR. For example, I have a category for travel. Subcategories include generic embellishments that are travel related and a separate page for every city I've traveled. All flat embellishments and city themed 12x12 paper are stored in each city tab. Although it is currently missing a few cities here is a pic of what I have thus far. I try to use the 3 letter airport code on the tabs to designate each city.



3. Instead of dedicating a spinder to calendar, I have a seperate category for holidays and seasons. The holiday category is then further sub-divided; Christmas, Halloween. Any embellishment that has this theme is then stored in this section. So any alphas with Christmas theme are stored with the Christmas embellishments and NOT in the alpha section.

I also have a category for Seasons which is then sub-divided into the 4 seasons. So for example, my beach embellishments are stored with the Summer items and snowmen are stored with Winter. It's just the way I think.

Again, tailor your organization to fit the way you think and not someone else's philosophy. As you can see from this post I've tailored Tiffany's system to fit my needs. After all, we organize in hopes of finding what we need when we need it! Hope this works for you as it has for me.

Well . . . this is all for today . . . hope you have a great week. Thanks for stopping by.

Yoli

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...